Project 2 – Vodka Label, pt 2

Feedback on the thumbs and roughs was mixed, as I expected. There was no clear consensus from other classmates on the direction I should go in. But a couple people pointed out that the ideas with the cloud and the pie/piece of pie looking “heavenly” might not send the right message to the target audience. And someone pointed out that the idea from the 3rd rough, the cutout “A” in the words “pecan” and “dream” forming the slice of pie, might not translate well to the curved shape of the bottle.

So I went with the 2nd rough idea, which seemed like it had the most potential given those considerations. I designed it to wrap around the bottle, and chose just one color from the original color “palette” to base the other colors around.

Here’s a look at the work in progress. At this stage, I’d placed the pie and pecan elements and added texture to them, and I’d placed the text where I felt it would look best. But I wasn’t too in love with the text colors. And I felt like adding some flat shadows to the pie and pecans would add to the overall composition and make things look more elegant.

rough

After much tooling with shadows, textures, and spot (!) colors in the text, this is where I ended up.

artboard-1-100

I also included a mockup of the label on an actual bottle. Though I don’t think that part turned out super great, despite several attempts to make the label look less wonky, I’m showing it here just to be thorough.

bottle

What you can’t see in the digital image is that all of the text on the label (except the government warning) would be printed in shimmery spot colors, adding to the “dreamlike” effect.

Project 2 – Vodka Label, pt 1

With this project, we worked on designing a product label for a pecan pie-flavored vodka by Seventy Eight °C Spirits in Raleigh. Pecan Dream almost immediately presented itself as an option for the product name, though considered others too. But finding something intriguing and also suitable for the client was harder for me this time than for the last project. But here are the thumbnail sketches and the 3 roughs that I generated for this project.

I sketched around two or three different styles for this, in terms of the graphic elements. Regarding fonts, in this stage, I kept it pretty simple for the sketching process, because I actually had a pretty clear idea of the kinds of fonts that would be best suited to it. We also submitted a file of font ideas, as well as some color palette ideas.

fonts_and_colors