Here it is, the last drawing project! For this one, we were to use a model and draw a bust portrait, having the model draped in cloth. Fabric is possibly the only thing I’m still a little uncomfortable drawing, even with the practice I gave myself before doing this piece. So in an attempt at fearlessness, I used two blankets in this composition. Because I’m like that.
The model is my husband. He was drafted for this project primarily because it was easy for him to find time to sit for it, but I think he actually enjoyed the experience. Behind him is a menorah in a Tree of Life design. It’s not just a prop, he is Jewish (why else would we have one laying around?). But I admit I included it because after looking at him sitting in front of a blank wall with a big glare on it, I felt like there needed to be something to catch the light and add a different texture. Plus the gold candle cups provided a pop of a different color to contrast the blue wall.
Materials: dry pastel, charcoal, colored pencil, white ink.
This assignment was to put our knowledge of form, shape, & value into working with color, specifically colored pencils. I did this on an earlier assignment, the soda can, but it was nice to just do a sketchy assignment with them and choose objects with great colors to draw. Six sketches are below.
If I’d been a little more ambitious, and if my white ink pen hadn’t died on me just the day before, I would have added the lettering to the book covers and the pen canister. Alas.
For this drawing assignment, we were to create a composition of complex shapes (i.e., not simply rectangular objects, or circular, etc.) that exhibits attention to unity, balance, and focal point. I immediately began to think in terms of color, but knew that I wouldn’t want to create a large drawing with colored pencils (all that teeny-tiny finger work!), so I went to oil pastels. (Confession: I totally used colored pencils on the spoon. I have no idea how to work oil pastels in such a tiny and detailed space.)
My oil pastel skills were a bit rusty to begin with, and I messed up in my first go at the underpainting for the background, but I am pretty happy with the results. I have to admit, I really dig the shine on the mug. Plus I proved to myself that I still (sorta) know my way around oil pastels. Yay!
As required, first the sketch page that has a couple different angles and close-ups. As you can see, it also includes some color mix tests.
And the end result is in the top photo. I say end result, but there are a few things I’d like to tweak at a later date, when I’ve replenished some of my oil pastel stock. But I like this for now.
This assignment was to find a soda can, crush it, and then stretch it back out a bit, so that an interesting pattern of wrinkles and shapes would be formed on the surface of the can (rather than drawing a plain ol’ cylinder). We were able to choose our media for this, so after refamiliarizing myself with colored pencils in the sketchbook assignment, I used them for this can also.
One note: the can, which my husband found for me since I don’t drink sodas, was a normal red Coke can. But my supply of red Prismacolors was too used-up to complete the drawing. I did have plenty of blues, though, so I used those and “translated” the colors and values.